[Zetaback-users] general configuration help needed...

Sebastian Ries Sebastian.Ries at dtnet.de
Tue Aug 25 03:34:48 EDT 2009

Hi

OK, I found my errors:

> First some Questions:
> Is it possible to run zetaback on a linux server and backup solaris
> servers from there?
seams to word ;-)

> I tried to understand the docu on https://labs.omniti.com/docs/zetaback/
> an thought I understood it - but it does not work.
>
> I have some storage-servers called storage13, storage14, ...
>
> therefore (for testing) I compiled zetaback (but did not install it)
>
> here is my zetaback.conf
> -- 8< --------------------------------
> default {
>   store = /pool12/maintain_nfs/zetaback/%h
>   archive = /pool12/maintain_nfs/zetaback_archives/%h
>   agent = /opt/zetaback/zetaback_agent
> -c /opt/zetaback/zetaback_agent.conf

This does not work :-(
$agent in zetaback is empty (without the parameter it works...

>   backup_interval = 86400
>   full_interval = 604800
> }
>
> storage13.dev.softwaredemo.de {}
> -- 8< --------------------------------
>
> but running zetaback does not seam to work:
>
> root at storage14:~/zetaback-1.0.4# ./zetaback -b -ff -c zetaback.conf -d
> -h storage13.dev.softwaredemo.de
> Planning 'storage13.dev.softwaredemo.de'
> Acquiring lock for storage13.dev.softwaredemo.de:.list
> Releasing lock for storage13.dev.softwaredemo.de:.list
>
> (this command takes less than one minute and does not cause any network
> traffic...)

As the agent was empty no ssh communication was set up.
After fixing this some ssh traffic came up but with the same result.

A little debugging in the client came up with missing "/usr/sbin/zfs" in
zfs_agent_list in zetaback_agent.
This was caused though make.
-> I compiled the script on the linux machine (without having a zfs
binary) so the variable was empty.
=> The bug I see here is that I did not see an Error while building :-/

Regards
Sebastian Ries

DT Netsolution GmbH -  Talaeckerstr. 30 -  D-70437 Stuttgart
Tel: +49-711-849910-36               Fax: +49-711-849910-936
WEB: http://www.dtnet.de/     email: Sebastian.Ries at dtnet.de