[Reconnoiter-users] Reconnoiter live demos around?

Mark Steele msteele at beringmedia.com
Wed Nov 2 09:36:08 EDT 2011

Cosimo,

I've just recently setup reconnoiter and here's what I think.

The good:

   - Architecturally, its' great. It's got some pretty cool features. It
   will scale to very large installations
   - The cli interface to noit is great
   - The IEP engine can do some very powerful things around alerting, fault
   detection, etc...
   - Live graphs that update as data is received
   - Lots of plugins
   - Security baked in via SSL client/server certs

The bad:

   - There's very little documentation and not many examples.
   - The UI is very basic and is only for graphing. It's got some bugs.
   - There's no dashboard for the status (up/down) of the monitored services
   - No alerting built-in (fairly easy to build yourself though). See
   http://www.control-alt-del.org/2011/10/25/monitoring-with-reconnoiter/
   - There's a bit of a learning curve around Esper (less of a problem if
   you're familiar with SQL)

This is a solution which is going to require some time getting your head
around, if you don't have time to fiddle with things this probably isn't
the solution for you.

The comparison to ganglia is quite good actually, although ganglia is
probably easier to setup.

Mark Steele, CISSP, CSM
Bering Media Inc.