[Reconnoiter-users] Can Reconnoiter handle a very large number of check names?

Theo Schlossnagle jesus at omniti.com
Wed Mar 17 09:08:16 EDT 2010

What you are referring to is metric names.  Can Reconnoiter support 100k metrics in a single check?  I suppose yes.  However, I think it would provide more stability and flexibility to split them out across multiple checks.  The reason being: checks have a run period individually, so if you were to stop reconnoiter (administrative or due to a crash) it would have to rerun the whole check.  If you chose to federate the data storage of all these things, it it currently possible by sid (check id) and not by metric name -- so if you have one check and 100k metrics, it will always live on one storage node.

Were it me, I'd do one check per site, name the check for the URL and have the metric name something short and sweet that describes what "234" is (in your example).