[Reconnoiter-users] Relation to Circonus?

Theo Schlossnagle jesus at omniti.com
Tue Jun 1 17:34:53 EDT 2010

On May 31, 2010, at 12:16 PM, Mikkel Høgh wrote:
> I’ve been wanting to check out Reconnoiter for some time now, and I
> saw that OmniTi has a commercial offering called Circonus which
> appears to be a SaaS version of Reconnoiter. That is, however, not
> acknowledged anywhere I can find on the Circonus pages, and I’ve been
> wondering what impact Circonus will have on Reconnoiters status as an
> open source project.
>
> So, is Circonus merely a rebranded Reconnoiter, or will it be
> “Reconnoiter Pro/Plus/Premium”?
> Will Reconnoiter continue to be developed as an open source project?

Circonus is a comprehensive monitoring platform that provides both global and "in the datacenter" perspectives.  Circonus has a boat load of moving parts and Reconnoiter is one of them.

Reconnoiter will absolutely continue as an open source project and, furthermore, any development that Circonus does that is related to the core of Reconnoiter will be put back in the reconnoiter tree.  A tremendous amount of the features and fixes that you've seen from me have been what I'd call "Circonus induced."  Cloudkick also uses Reconnoiter and have been excellent about contributing back their features and fixes.

There is no current intention at OmniTI (or Circonus) to make a closed reconnoiter pro/plus/premium.

To put that into a more "cynical" perspective, employees at OmniTI and Circonus both very actively contribute to the noitd and stratcond cores though the web console has gotten very little attention due to it not being used in our endeavors.  As time frees up more, employees at OmniTI will eventually improve the web console.  Of course, anyone can join the community and improve it.

Hope this helps.

--
Theo Schlossnagle
http://omniti.com/is/theo-schlossnagle