[Reconnoiter-users] Documentation for the console

Theo Schlossnagle jesus at omniti.com
Wed Aug 18 21:35:29 EDT 2010

On Aug 18, 2010, at 9:15 PM, Thomas Dudziak wrote:

> The oscon demo contains a sample session, but the info was not enough
> (for me anyways) to fully explain how I would do more complicated
> configuration (inheritance etc.).
> I also tried looking at the code (noit_console, noit_console_state,
> and usages of noit_console_state_t) but it is, well, complicated, lots
> of indirection.

Indeed.  Someone was writing docs, but then didn't. Then someone else, but then they got busy...

I can give a really short tut in email:

conf t -> into configuration mode
cd checks -> takes you into the XML <checks> node in the config (which is toplevel under <noit>)

"cd" will move you around the tree.

To create a new xml enclosure, use "section" like you would mkdir in on UNIX.

The config command is: "config key value"

And will create (on demand) a <config> block under the current node (but not take you into it).

"ls" lists the current node you are in (include config info).

So, armed with that you can create implicit inheritance with checks through the CLI.

Explicit checks like <config inherit="something_in_templates"></config> is not currently supported via the CLI. :-(  But shouldn't be too hard to add, we'd just need to agree on a syntax.

"config inherit something_in_templates" wouldn't work as that would cause "inherit" to be unusable a config key from the console (no such restriction exists in XML).

In my efforts to make the console auto-complete, I wanted to make it self documenting.  Oops.  Looks like I failed at that.