[Reconnoiter-devel] Trouble with scaffolding.sql

Igor Galić i.galic at brainsware.org
Sat Nov 26 14:09:00 EST 2011

Hi folks,

I've tried to install reconnoiter on Ubuntu's stock 9.1.1 PostgreSQL
server and came across the following issue:

  postgres at db:/home/i.galic/reconnoiter/sql$ psql < scaffolding.sql
  ERROR:  role "reconnoiter" already exists
  ERROR:  database "reconnoiter" already exists
  ERROR:  role "stratcon" already exists
  NOTICE:  schema "noit" does not exist
  ALTER ROLE
  ERROR:  role "prism" already exists
  NOTICE:  schema "noit" does not exist
  ALTER ROLE
  \connect: FATAL:  Peer authentication failed for user "reconnoiter"
  postgres at db:/home/i.galic/reconnoiter/sql$

I patched the first part up by giving reconnoiter a password.

The next line it chokes is

  create language plpgsql;

The problem with this is that we can't just use

  create or replace plpgsql;

Because this requires superuser privileges and at this point we've
already switched to the user "reconnoiter".

The solution that does work is

  create extension if not exists plpgsql;

But this works only in 9.1 where plpgsql is in by default anyway.

That's all,

So long,

Igor Galić

Tel: +43 (0) 664 886 22 883